CA DMV Questions & Answers

Find answers, information and resources to help you with all your California vehicle registration needs.

Question & Answer Forum
Can't find what you need? Ask a DMV Expert

All Topics > Registration Renewal > My 2002 Toyota Highlander is Out of State But Needs a CA Smog Check

My 2002 Toyota Highlander is Out of State But Needs a CA Smog Check

Question 
Hi. I just paid my renewal license fee online. My 2002 Toyota Highlander is out-of state. My daughter attend college at Creighton University in Omaha Nebraska. I completed the CA DMV REG 5103 form. Where do I submit the completed form? Thank you .

Answer 
Hello Danny. Having already paid your registration renewal fees directly to the DMV, you won't be able to use our website to process your smog exemption online, but we'll be glad to help you over the phone. Since you have the REG 5103 prepared, go ahead and reply to this email with it as an attachment and please include a daytime phone number where we can reach you.

Once we receive your REG 5103 we'll make sure it is filled-in correctly, and then file it with the DMV, same-day. If any corrections are needed, we'll contact you before filing. We will remove the RDF (Report of Deposit of Fees) from DMV records and issue you new registration (including sticker). We can also mail your registration card an sticker to your out-of-state address, overnight if you wish.

You may email us your REG 5103 as a scanned PDF document or a photo/image taken with your smartphone. If you'll be taking a picture, please make sure the image is of high resolution and cropped neatly. We recommend scanning the REG 5103. Please check out our service fees. We will collect your billing information when we speak.

Learn how to complete the REG 5103 properly: REG 5103 Quick Guide

You may download the REG 5103 online here.

Thank you and we look forward to assisting you.

- NeedTags Customer Support Team

Checking DMV Records ...

Please wait.