CA DMV Questions & Answers

Find answers, information and resources to help you with all your California vehicle registration needs.

Question & Answer Forum
Can't find what you need? Ask a DMV Expert

All Topics > Out-of-State Vehicle Registration > Moving to California with My 2010 Subaru Outback

Moving to California with My 2010 Subaru Outback

I'll be moving to California in 2017 with work. I'm not sure how long I'll be in California. If it is under a year do I still have to register my Subaru in CA? My current tags don't expire until Sept of 2017 and I'd hate to waste money if I can drive my car legally with the current sticker. Thanks!

You will need to register your vehicle in California within 10 days of moving here or obtaining employment, unless your employment is truly on a temporary basis. Upon registering your vehicle in CA, you'll surrender the vehicle's current license plate(s) and pink slip, and be issued 2 new California plates, and new California Certificate of Title. Your Subaru will also need a VIN verification check which must be conducted by the California Highway Patrol.


Checking DMV Records ...

Please wait.

The VIN is a 17 digit identification number assigned to automobiles.

The VIN can also be found on your registration card or renewal notice.
Official Partner of the CA Department of Motor Vehicles
close X
 Online Registration Services
FREE DMV Fee Lookup