I Did Not Receive My Replacement License Plates After Submitting the REG 156 Form Along with Payment by Mail

Find the answers you need to get your California Vehicle Registration faster.

I Did Not Receive My Replacement License Plates After Submitting the REG 156 Form Along with Payment by Mail

by NeedTags Support

When requesting replacement license plates from the DMV, unless the original plates were lost or stolen, you must surrender the current plates.

Assuming you marked the current plates as mutilated or destroyed on the REG 156, unfortunately at this point, you won't be able to complete the replacement process by mail any longer. Mailing the DMV your damaged license plate now will not get them to send you new plates. Your existing plates had to be mailed in along with the REG 156 and $27 payment, initially.

California DMV License Plates Not Received

Since you've already paid your replacement license plate fees, and there is a record on file of you having done so, your next step would be to physically visit a DMV branch office and pickup new plates. If you hadn't made the replacement payment to the DMV, we would have recommended visiting a local privately owned DMV registration office for faster service.

At this point, the only way to avoid paying for replacement plates twice, is to visit a DMV branch office. Find a DMV branch office here. You'll need to take the old plates(s) with you and turn them in. The DMV clerk will look up your replacement request record, see that you've already paid your replacement license plate payment, and issue you new plates.

Note: A replacement of your original damaged plate is not possible. You will be receiving a new set of license plates (2 plates with new numbers). Please make sure to take both of your vehicle's license plates with you in order to surrender them.

Related Material

Local Registration Service Offices
Check CA DMV Registration Status
Order Replacement DMV Stickers
Pay CA DMV Registration Renewal Fees

Let's get started...
Officially Entrusted by the Department of Motor Vehicles
Officially Entrusted by the CA Department of Motor Vehicles
close X
 Get Instant DMV Registration
CLICK HERE

Retrieving DMV Records